Critical Illness Cover
Critical Illness Cover
A lump sum pay out if you were diagnosed with a listed critical illness
Take advantage of additional policy benefits such as free 24/7 GP Service & 2nd Opinions from Specialists for the whole family*
A critical illness policy is a protection policy in the event that you were diagnosed or suffered from a critical illness, a lump sum will be paid.
All insurers will have their own limitations and exclusions however, the majority will cover the following:
- Cardic Arrest
- Heart attack
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Loss of hand and foot
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson disease
- Third degree burns
- Traumatic brain injury
But why have Critical Illness Cover?
During what is likely to be a difficult time, a payout will allow you to make lifestyle changes that you may need or leave you with one less thing to worry about; financials.
For example, the critical illness pay out can be used to pay:
- Regular monthly household bills and food shopping
- Mortgage and rent payments
- Travel expenses if speciality hospitals are far way
- Home modifications
- Pay towards purchasing and moving to a new house
- Carers (if you’re a full-time carer for a family member but may now be unable to do so)
- A safety net for the future for your loved ones
- Cross of things from your bucket list
What could affect the cost of your critical illness cover?
The monthly payments can vary, and it will depend on your personal circumstances:
- Your age
- Whether you smoke or not
- Health – your current health, BMI and family medical history
- Occupation – some jobs are considered higher risk than others which can result in higher premiums
- Level of cover and sum assured (how much you’re looking to be covered for / how much you will be paid off)
If you’re considered at higher risk for a particular condition, maybe because you have an existing health issue or you have a family history of it, that specific illness could be excluded from the policy. If you wish to stay covered for it and you’re eligible to be covered for it, you may have to pay a higher premium.
Additional Benefits to Critical Illness Cover
Children’s Critical Illness Cover
With some lenders, there is an option to add on children’s critical illness cover. Something that you wouldn’t ever want to think about however if something was to happen, a pay out can support you having time off to be with your children, make home modifications and support travel expenses for appointments and treatment.
In the event that there were any complications during pregnancy and your child was born with a birth defect, you may be able to claim on your pregnancy cover with your critical illness policy.
The payout could mean that you don’t need to rush back to work or extra financial support for travel expenses for example during a difficult and challenging time.